Update: Forumgoer and Hero of the Imperium Caeserofgaming has reported that using the Slime transformation in Corrupter Mode causes a crash. So don’t do that. Next week’s patch will fix this.
Salty here. This week we have a lot of improvements for Corrupter Mode, moving it firmly into the realm of “things that are playable”. It’s still not very balanced, but it’s actually fun on the higher difficulties.
Windows Version (Mediafire)
OSX 10.12 Sierra (Bundled: Mediafire) (Raw: Mediafire)
I’ve added a lot of new magic spells to several races, in the order of popularity on the recent poll.
Imps had several of their spells buffed or fixed. They’re now complete as far as Corrupter Mode goes.
Darkslaves can create mana traps, become an impervious wraith, devour their minions to recover their own HP/WP, and can summon clouds of darkness at will.
Rilmani can teleport at will, including to the location of an unsuspecting human, and can create warp globes out of nothing. They can further lay a warp beacon that will redirect any human who uses a warp globe to its location, and can drop a Rune of Paralysis that prevents humans from escaping if they set it off.
Nymphs have several seductive powers. Not only do they passively damage WP, they can seduce the humans into not attacking them, or even attacking other humans! Of course, seducing them in these ways is hard – which is why they can spike a potion to create an aphrodesiac…
Pixies have gained a set of powerful offensive spells, like Fireball and Frozen Plume, so you can wage a direct assault on the humans. You can also buff your minions or even make your fey followers become invincible for a short time – if you’ve got the MP, that is.
More spells are due in for the remaining monster species next week, so stay tuned.
Improved UI and Options
I’ve improved the main menu’s UI. Options are now split up between Game and Engine options, and the options now have a description to inform you what they actually change.
In addition, you no longer have to look at the Corrupter Menu to cast spells on yourself. There is a quick-cast spell menu in the upper-right of the console to make your life easier. You can still check spell descriptions in the Corrupter Menu if you don’t know exactly what they do.
I’ve also added a lighting overlay to 2D mode to better illustrate which parts of the mansion your character can currently see. As usual, it can be disabled through the options menu.
Noise and Suspicion Improvements
Finally, Corrupter Mode will now make a valiant attempt at simulating the propagation of noise through the mansion. Some actions are loud, like creating a glyph or channeling MP, and will cause the humans to become suspicious. They will randomly decide to check out loud noises, and will become suspicious if they find you at the source of one. Stay mobile!
Boring Patch Notes
- Added GL dummy functions that will catch failed wrangling calls and instead replace them with non-crashing non-functional calls. This should help very old graphics cards to be able to at least run the program (it won’t look good or be optimized, but it will run). (Thanks, Husky!)
- Fixed textures too large for old graphics cards causing a crash. You will notice image anomalies, such as misalignments, but the game will run. (Thanks again, Husky!)
- Modified the order in which containers get opened vs. printing.
- Unified the UI color scheme and highlighting method.
- Fixed a stack error in the wakeup scripts.
- Added brightness overlays to accurately demonstrate what the player can currently see relative to the backdrop. This can be disabled in the options menu.
- Greatly improved the options. Game and Engine options are now split up, and they have descriptions to help you tell what they do.
- Added the unrolled magic menu, allowing you to cast spells on yourself with a single click. You can see the details of the spells on the Corrupter Menu.
- Added noise generation to Corrupter Mode. Humans will now investigate loud noises, like the sound of you channeling mana or creating a glyph. If they see you at a location that created noise, their suspicion of you will increase based on what the noise was.
- Added difficulty levels to Corrupter Mode, from “Easy” which gives you lots of MP to “Hard” where you have less MP and tougher humans to the staggeringly hard “True Corrupter” where the humans have 99 HP and can take down most monsters bare-handed. You’ll need to use cleverness to take them down!
- Added the podling transformation to the transformation list. Raise an army!
- Added Mana Trap to the Darkslave’s spells. This will cause a human who opens a trapped container to lose some WP and generate MP for you.
- Added Summon Cloud to the Darkslave’s spells. You can summon a cloud of darkness, much like container traps do.
- Added Wraith Form to the Darkslave’s spells. This makes you unhittable in melee combat, but unable to deal more than 1 point of damage.
- Added Beckon to the Darkslave’s spells. This causes AI humans to prioritize attacking you instead of your minions. Works well with Wraith Form!
- Added Devour Soul to the Darkslave’s spells. You can destroy one of your minions to fully restore your HP/WP and double your damage output for 10 turns.
- Added the Rilmani’s teleport ability to their magic list (as Blink).
- Added Stalk to the Rilmani’s spells. Teleports you to a random human. Makes chasing down the last one a breeze.
- Added the ability for Rilmanis to generate warp globes for humans to use.
- Added warp beacons to Rilmanis, allowing you to force the humans who use warp globes to land at the beacon.
- Added Rune of Paralysis to the Rilmani’s traps. You can place one and it will prevent humans from leaving the room for 10 turns. Warp Globes clear the trap on a per-individual basis.
- Added Charm to the Nymph’s spells. Does a bit of willpower damage, but also reduces the target’s damage output for 1 turn.
- Added Seduce to the Nymph’s spells. Very unlikely to hit, but if it does, the target will not attack you for 3-5 turns. They will run away if they are injured as usual. You can greatly increase the success rate by tricking a human into drinking an aphrodesiac.
- Added Enrapture to the Nymph’s spells. Has a 3% hit rate, but makes the victim fall in love with you for 8-12 turns. They will follow you and attack nearby humans. An aphrodesiac guarantees the success of the spell.
- Added Fireball to the Pixie’s spells. A straight damage spell, 4-8 damage with 80% accuracy.
- Added Lightning Bolt to the Pixie’s spells. Also straight damage, hits every human in the room for 3 damage. Useful if you can clump them up.
- Added Frozen Plume to the Pixie’s spells. Another straight damage spell, deals 12 damage with 80% accuracy, but is less MP-efficient than fireball.
- Added Choking Gas to the Pixie’s spells. Creates a cloud of gas which (surprise!) chokes humans in the room, reducing their HP by 2 and defense by 1 for 3 turns. Persists for 3 turns, and humans are not smart enough to flee from the gas cloud.
- Added Rally Followers to the Pixie’s spells, buffing all monsters in the mansion with +1 to all combat stats for 20 turns.
- Added Might of the Fey to the Pixie’s spells, making the player and all fey monsters invincible for 10 turns at a huge MP cost.
- Added Summon Fairy Ring to the Pixie’s spells. Thematically suiting, not that useful unless your minions have a bigger WP than HP bar.
- Item spawning in Corrupter Mode is now internally handled and can’t be modified by options. The spawn rate increases after 100 turns passes, which is both good and bad for the player.
- Fixed Glyphs of Power to be unable to be created if you’re in the same room as an existing glyph, or adjacent to one.
- Humans will now destroy Glyphs of Power if they find them and have no other priorities in that room.
- You can now harvest a glyph of power after 30 turns to immediately gain 15 MP.
- In Corrupter Mode, humans will use Warp Globes to escape when their stamina is too low to run.
- Monsters will now cancel their current orders when you change their orders. This usually takes a turn before it applies.
- Fixed an error in the menus that caused the main menu not to populate when backing out of the monster select screen.
- Fixed some imp spell bugs.
- Nymphs will no longer sap willpower if their disguise is still up.
- There are still several UI improvements I want to make to 3D mode, such as damage animation, resetting how entities are positioned when the player is looking around,
and changing the icons for weapons and items to match what they actually are. These will be added in time, I am focusing on Corrupter Mode right now.
- Navigating using the mouse in 3D mode seems to have been borked at some point. Not sure what I did, but it’ll be fixed next version.